About Me

My photo
Bellingham, Washington, United States
A High Priestess of the Georgian and NROOGD traditions of Wicca, a longarm quilter and fabric + fiber lover / artist, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Handfasting!


I loved this moment when the Archbishop of Canterbury wrapped the blessed cloth around their hands and did his little benediction over their union! I was yelling to Mike "it's a handfasting!" and started bawling my eyes out. It was evident to me that we as modern pagans are working with symbolism, ritual forms, and liturgy that has a definite lineage from the British Royal and religious traditions. Actually it's probably more a shared lineage, they went one direction, i.e., the church still uses forms that are resonant with pagan/folk traditions, and we as modern Wiccans are trying to get to the original practices in order to feel the roots of these practices and connect with the land and each other.
This makes me very happy! I have a family tree going back to English aristocracy and I have always felt these things in a core and primal way when I perform certain ceremonies... it is like coming home. The love and energy I channel is a thrill for me that goes beyond the moment; it's like my ancestors are there looking over my shoulder and sending gladness and feelings of connection.

I also really got excited hearing all the exhortations around ethics, positivity and how to live a good life. It was a great tie in to the classes that we have been teaching locally since we just had a class on ethics and morality. I was glad to see that our beliefs and subscription to certain ethics and morality seemed drawn directly from the things in this ceremony; it all seems so relevant and clear. My hope is that people were listening and actually revisit those issues in their own lives, and thereby draw connecting lines from where they stand to what they want our country and the world to embrace right now.
Beltaine kisses to you!!!

1 comment: