About Me

My photo
Bellingham, Washington, United States
A High Priestess of the Georgian and NROOGD traditions of Wicca, a longarm quilter and fabric + fiber lover / artist, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Seeking shelter

The last week or so I have begun to try and figure out what I will do for shelter when we go for our annual camp out in August, "the Northwest Lammas Festival" (www.nwlammasfestival.org) at which I have been back and forth between our cheap coleman dome tent (collapsed on us in the downpour one year) and my family's RV's (borrowed on threat of extinction if they get dirty!).  Of course I prefer the RV, who wouldn't!!!  It has a toilet and stove all built in!  But I always feel like I'm sticking out like a sore thumb at this mostly low tech event.  So now I'm thinking how to camp in style with a better, more "me" tent?  Well at first I was dreaming of making my own medieval pavilion,

as a woman I met at the long-ago "Solstice in the Northwoods" event had done, and it was really cool.  Hers was very colorful.   Here's a white one.....
Then I started adding up the costs of all the yardage and the woodworking needed for a center spoke pole, etc, and I balked a bit.  It IS totally cool how they work, though!

You have to remember I've been a bit low on the energy scale this year too!!!  However, the medieval pavilions are pretty pricey for a nice canvas one (more than a grand)  and truly, I'm not an anachronist so still it wouldn't be "me" to go that route! 



 So I surfed the net and found what is all the rage in the UK right now: Bell tents.  Now THERE I feel like I'd be right at home with one of these.  Check out how sweet it looks!  Many, many people are buzzing on the net about how they love them.  They are being used as villages on people's land and folks come rent them for the weekend, and they are set up at festivals too, for rent. 
So, I'm seriously thinking of this as an option.



Then Mike comes up with an idea for a trip we need to take this summer to Montana; a tent trailer. 

So now I'm derailed a bit, because I kind of had my heart set on my little hobbity tent, but heck, back to a toilet and shower, and a stove and fridge, pretty tempting!!!  Will let you know what happens.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Why not do both? The tent is perfect for festivals, and is totally cool! But probably, like the RV would stick out like a sore thumb at a campground. So the tent trailer would be perfect for that. You'll most likely make more of those trips so it would pay for itself eventually.

    ReplyDelete